The MSc Data Science programme is designed to bring together skills in data management, analytics and artificial intelligence and to develop the skills you need to design and implement data science projects. This field is expected to make-up at least a quarter of all digital jobs and has been highlighted as a major skills’ gap both locally and internationally.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum grade of 2:2, Good, GPA 2.7, B”, or equivalent. Relevant subjects include: Computer Science, IT or other computing subjects, Maths, Statistics, any Engineering subject, any quantitative subject such as Physics, Chemistry, Business, Marketing, Economics, Psychology and Social Sciences.
- Proficiency in English to a level of 6.0 in Academic IELTS or equivalent.
Note: Applicants with bachelor’s degrees issued by non-British institutions are required to score 6.5 in Academic IELTS or pass stage-3 of the GCET pre-master training programme with 6.0 in Academic IELTS.
- You will get a genuine British award from the University of the West of England, Bristol, UK, (recognised worldwide) while studying in Muscat.
- The programme is delivered in block flexible mode to suit learners with work or family commitments.
- The duration of the programme is only one calendar year.
- MSc Data Science is unique in the Sultanate of Oman.
- You will learn to use statistical inference, modelling and analysis, machine learning and predictive analytics and will understand how to store, process and analyse big data. You will build skills in evidence-based communication, argumentation and data visualisation.
- You will be able to implement data science projects from end to end, using real data to address business, health and sustainability problems.
- You will be able to gain exposure to a range of current data science methods and tools.
- You will take part in a substantial interdisciplinary group project and a research dissertation on an aspect of data science.
Graduates of MSc Data Science programme are prepared for a wide range of career paths as well as for pursuing PhD studies. Your knowledge of the latest data science methods and tools will put you in a strong position to secure work such as a business intelligence (BI) analyst, big data engineer, database administrator, data architect, machine learning engineer, statistician, data scientist, business analyst or develop a career path toward chief data officer. On completion, graduates will have experienced individual and group projects, which enable them to work independently and, in a team to manage complex projects.
MSc Data Science – Programme Structure (2020-2021)
|Semester-1||Interdisciplinary Group Project(UFCFWQ-45-M)||Statistical Inference(UFMFHR-15-M)||Programming for Data Science (UFCFVQ-15-M)||Data Management Fundamentals(UFCFLR-15-M)|
|Semester-2||Interdisciplinary Group Project(UFCFWQ-45-M)||Option A||Option B|
Options A and B will be selected from
|Module Code||Module Name|
|UFCFKR-15-M||Business Intelligence and Data Visualisation|
|UFCFMJ-15-M||Machine Learning and Predictive Analytics|
|UCFCFLJ-15-M||Linked, Open Data and the Internet of Things|
|UFCFGD-15-M||Information and Knowledge Management|
|UFCE8J-15-M||Designing the User Experience|
|UFCFJJ-15-M||Social Media and Web Science|
Note: Elective Modules offerings are subject to minimum enrollment of seven students.